1. When will you have tax forms at the library?
Tax form printing for both federal and state tax forms was delayed this year. As of Feb. 1 we have received the state forms, but have yet to see the federal income tax forms. The IRS/TFOP is hoping to have the 1040 Instruction Booklets to libraries by 2/15/2011.
2. Can I download and print tax forms at the library?
Absolutely. Ask a staff person for help if you need assistance finding forms on-line. Printing/copying charges are $ .10/page.
3. Can I use library computers to enter my taxes at an electronic-filing site?
Yes. Please let a staff person know before you log in that you will be submitting your taxes on-line. The public computers usually have a 30-minute limit if there are people waiting, but we can extend that if you let us know before you get started. I’ve had more than one patron tell me they get returns more quickly if they e-file.
- The IRS offers a free electronic filing options to those who qualify; see Free File page for more information.
- The State of Michigan also offers free e-file options; see the Michigan e-File page for more information.
4. Can individual taxpayers still call and order tax forms?
Yes, taxpayers may place phone orders at 800-829-3676, or they can order forms to be sent by U. S. Mail on the Forms and Publications page at www.irs.gov.
5. What if I need help filing my taxes?
Librarian Jessamyn West put together a detailed list of sources for those who might need braille, large-print, or talking tax forms. See her post “it’s tax time again” to get more information about the different formats available for federal forms.
There are several agencies in and around Ann Arbor that offer one-on-one assistance to low-income, senior, and disabled filers, including:
Catholic Social Services – tax preparation for low-income seniors and disabled adults
The Women’s Center of Southeastern Michigan – tax preparation for women whose income falls within their guidelines
The Tax Assistance Program at St. Francis Parish in Ann Arbor – open to those with low incomes and simple tax returns
6. Where do I find forms and tax help on-line?
- Michigan tax forms: Michigan Taxes at the Department of the Treasury
- IRS forms: IRS Forms and Publications
- Yahoo!: Taxes on Yahoo! page